Friday, July 06, 2007

BE AGGRESSIVE, B-E AGGRESSIVE

Time for some serious cheerleading people. My running relationship is on the rocks. Last night, I had a measly 5 miles to do... 5 freaking miles! I had to DRAG myself out to the street to get it done. Seriously. Whoever said it takes 21 days to make a habit was really screwed up. I have been 'running' for about 7 months now. This doesn't count last summer since I took a winter hiatus. SEVEN MONTHS is way longer than 21 days and I still feel like quitting? Maybe I need some retail therapy? I know I always look forward to wearing new clothing... and if it's running clothing, that will help me? Maybe I need a running partner? I always enjoyed running with Susan in Indy.


I eventually choked the mileage down, but it took me 45 freaking minutes to convince myself that the $110 entry fee, the already purchased plane tix & hotel reservations were worth it. I don't have 45 minutes to do this EVERY DAY. I really wanted to sit my butt on the couch, watch some boob tube and eat gummy worms.


I am going to an osteopath next week to get my hip/back/legs manipulated. This is the dr that my husband has been seeing since he was a kid. The dr thinks that my shin splints are caused by a biomechanical imbalance. My shin-splint leg is the foot that sort of points outward when running. This is also the hip that gets tight and cramps sometimes when stretching my hamstrings. I really hope that it works because last night I could tell that my shin was starting to swell up a little. I really iced that puppy last night!


I have to do 10 miles this weekend. Coach Leah says I should go for it. If I start to have some pain, just stop. I think that's a good plan.


Now I am going to fall asleep at my desk. My 18 month old is in a toddler bed... which means that when he wakes up at whatever ungodly hour, he is promptly in my room climbing all over me.


E.V.E.R.Y.D.A.Y.


sigh

1 comment:

Irene said...

I stumbled upon your blog off of CRN, and thought I'd say something instead of just lurk...

I've been actively running for 7 years and I still get that train of thought as to "why am I doing this?"

The shins... Yeah, something could be off, especially if you've tried all the other things like going slower, cutting back your milage and new, proper fitting running shoes. I've had less problems since I've been seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis. I hope the osteopath will help. Good luck!

Happy running!