Sunday, May 06, 2007

2007 INDY MINI MARATHON RACE REPORT

First I want to say THANK YOU! My husband Chad brought the kids to meet me at mile 5 (I even stopped to hug the Dude & Stinky). I was starting to struggle then, & it really lifted my spirits. Leah and Jason are my best friends! They drove me to the race, met me at mile 3, 10, & finish line. I don't know how I would've gotten through miles 10-12 if they hadn't even run with me on the course. THANK YOU!! I can't say it enough. I didn't really know how great it was to have people cheering for you until that was THE ONLY THING that was keeping me running.

In the corrals, I felt great. I felt prepared. The weather was cloudy & breezy. PERRRRFECT! I was in Corral S (not for slow, but for SUPERSTAR!). BTW, I really think that those extra steps should have counted in the race. Anyway, I was kind of lonely until the corral started filling up & these guys were right beside me talking... what really made me laugh was that somebody had already put on Ben Gay. Really, if you've already got Ben Gay on, you're in big trouble!

I started out REALLY SLOW - partially due to dodging the walkers in front of me (wtf?? walkers in FRONT of me?), partially because I wanted to combat the adrenaline of the massive start. Everything that I was worried about should have been the farthest thing from my mind. It didn't rain a drop the WHOLE WEEKEND. What happened to scattered showers & thunderstorms? The sun started to shine & it was getting muggy & warm at about mile 4. This was terrific since I didn't have sunglasses or my running hat.

The Track was pretty boring. I wanted to punch EVERY SINGLE 15 YEAR OLD GIRL SCREAMING AT ME TO RUN. I distracted myself by imagining it - in detail.

I thought for sure that the mile outside of the track was going to be better - yeah, not so much. I lost track of how far the next mile was & it took FOREVER to get there! Then I see Jason & Leah at about mile 10 & I wanted to cry. I was going waaaay slower than I wanted to, my legs WOULD NOT go faster & to top it all off I had to walk. ALOT. This is not how I wanted to do this.

By mile 11, I didn't feel like crying so much anymore. I knew I was getting dehydrated due to my sausagey fingers & salty forehead, but I didn't want to drink more because my tummy was sloshy & crampy. I did, and it killed me.
The last mile was all mine. I said good bye to Leah & Jason & gave the last 1.1 mile my all. It definitely wasn't pretty. It really wasn't fast. But I know I left it all out there. I did my best & I'm proud of my accomplishment! I have a lot of room to improve, but I'm just going to take a moment to relax & bask in my 3:01:34 finish. Oh yeah - last .1 = 59 seconds! LOL

10 comments:

LeahC said...

it was fun cheering for you! Congrats on getting through your first 1/2 marathon!

Running Jayhawk said...

Congratulations, supa-star!! Wear that medal proudly, you've earned it!

I can't wait to hear how tonight's marathon meeting goes.

Twice the distance = twice the fun.

Faithful Soles said...

Bridgette, great job on the half-marathon, and congrats on toughing it through and leaving it all out there on the last mile. That's what it's all about, giving it your everything.

Faithful Soles said...

Forgot to mention, I would love to have your race report featured in our "Stories" section on Faithful Soles. I know it would inspire a lot of other beginners. If you are interested, here is the link to submit a story that gives the information to send it in.

Bridgette said...

I ALMOST wore my medal to work today...I am a complete dork!

Theoutofshapeguy said...

YAY!!! I have posted before some certain annoying people! But anyways, CONGRATS on a job well done!

Fran said...

congratulatons on your first half! You're well on your way!

Brooke said...

you ROCK!! Way to stay positive and enjoy the race. Your race report made me want to run the mini next year!

Dave said...

Great job on the finish! I agree with you about the track - something that should be so exciting to be running on is so boring... the next time I run the mini I think I'll use your same imagining skills - too funny.

Now it is time to train for the big one - the full monty. Piece of cake. You have already tackled a tri and a half. After Chicago I assume you'll be doing an ultra next?

Awesome Job - Congrats!

Joe said...

Way to go! You are a half marathoner!

> I didn't really know how great it was
> to have people cheering for you
> until that was THE ONLY THING
> that was keeping me running.

Indeed, it makes a HUGE difference!