Wednesday, July 19, 2006

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

I couldn't find a single soul to go ride with me today. Chad couldn't because we didn't have a sitter. Susan was working. Who knows what Neighbor Rob was doing...so I was on my own. Which wasn't entirely bad....

My battery is dead on my bike computer (cyclotronmatic? compucycle? iBike?). It is basically brand new, but whatever. You would think it would come with a battery that didn't die after 2 minutes.... but whatever. I haven't gotten a new one, so I was out there riding just by feel. Kind of like I did as a kid, when you rode as fast as you could, just so that you could feel the wind in your face & coast as far as you can. Then you rode as fast as you could again to repeat the feeling.

I had my watch with me, otherwise I might ride way to long, or cheat myself out of a good length ride. I think as adults we get so caught up in quantifying what we do, just so we can prove that we actually did something in this life when it's all said and done. Instead of just going out there and doing it, we have to make our mark on it.

With that being said, I do realize the importance of quantifying while training for an event, so I guess I'm stuck in this whole 'adult' mode. At least a little while longer. So, I went 11.85 miles in 53:42. This is better than any previous ride, so maybe I should ride like this more often? At least, it is better than any previously recorded ride (my bike-0-matic has been dead for about a week).

I have been really thinking about the 'why' of doing this triathlon. I keep thinking, why not? I don't have this concrete event in which I said to myself, "This is it! This is my motivation!" I read on another blog today (sorry I don't remember whose, so if it's yours, thanks!!) a quote: What would you do if you weren't afraid?

2 comments:

LeahC said...

great (!) post.

love it.

i agree that sometimes you have to strip all the extra crap off and just get out there and ride or run or whatever!

keep up the great work.

Lana said...

Way to get your ride in! Keep chipping away at it - you are doing great.
Something is driving you to do this triathlon, whether you know what it is or not. When I first started training for a tri, I wasn't really sure why I was doing it either. And then as I accomplished the goal, I realized that it was about getting out of my "comfort zone". I needed to prove to myself that I could do it. And all kinds of other things made it worth the while, and still do.